Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Series: Lux #1

Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout

Warning!

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.

I added this book because my friend Maru loves this series and I started to read it for the “Random Reads” meme. I should have known that YA doesn’t agree with me, I did finish it though.

“Obsidian” is Twilight with aliens IMO. We have:

-the awkward heroine that doesn’t make friends fast that was uprooted by her mother in an can’t-find-it-on-a-map town

-the sexy, macho hero that keeps warning away the bookish heroine

-drama, drama, drama

-stupid high-school stuff

I got bored so fast… Almost nothing happens for 2/3 of a book! The heroine, Katy, arrives in who-the-frag-remembers Virginia and talks about unpacking boxes and her blog for the 1st chapter… It was an exercise in patience for me. After this fascinating prose she decides to go grocery shopping and her mum pushes her to ask the people across their house about directions. Lo and behold we meet the hero! He’s a tall, dark and handsome dude that has a shitty personality… not clichéd at all, it’s only your imagination! They get on each other’s toes from the start and the rest I bet you could figure out for yourselves.

Ok, I’ll spill! She meets his sister and become BFFs so she has to spend time with the douche brother. They have a “get along - hate” relationship, but they both care about Dee[the sister] so they try. School starts. She’s the new chick so stuff is awkward… Daemon[the hero] runs hot and cold, his on again off again girlfriend picks on Katy, they have a cafeteria stand of in front of the whole high school. Daemon still can’t decide if he’ll be nice or not. We have the school dance[shocker!] and the little idiot is almost raped because it’s always a good idea to go to a dark and deserted place with a drunk, touchy guy, yes, the self preservation isn’t strong with this one.

Bla, bla, bla. Life and death battle between aliens[that was thrown in to impress us I think and to set up the next books], Katy and Daemon might finally get together, but in the end don’t because what will the next books be about?!

As you’ve seen the aliens plot twist was thrown in to make it deferent from the mases, but IMO it wasn’t exploited enough. It might be in the next books but I, for one, don’t care to find out!

I’m sure you’re wandering why I’m giving 2.5* since I disliked this book so much. Well, I’m giving it because I am biased against YA and because it really wasn’t that horrible, just predictable and uneventful.

Conclusion^

Rating: rating25

Source: http://alysmiscellany.wordpress.com/2013/10/10/review-obsidian-by-jennifer-l-armentrout